Popular Posts

Friday, May 17, 2013

My Review of Nas' Illmatic & It Was Written

In my opinion , It Was Written is a classic album. I enjoyed the album straight through.  People  often compare it Illmatic but in my opinion you can never replicate another album like that.  My favorite tracks, Take It In Blood, Live Nigga Rap, Black Girl Lost, If I Ruled The World, and Watch Dem Niggas.  Instead of the diverse sound of Illmatics' beats, this album feature a more polished up-beat sound which was great. The lyricism was even better,  he began telling narratives that were very good, he also used metaphors and similes that were also very creative. For example, "Life's A bitch but God Forbid if the divorce me" or "You will be aite like blood money in a pimp's cum".
While Illmatic is probably the greatest rap album ever created, I still prefer the latter , mainly because lyricism improves. While every track is Gold on Illmatic,  I did not not like he only had 10 in total. My favorite tracks were Life's A Bitch and  One Love.   I also thought New York State of Mind was an incredible track, which I found out he did in one take.



I will Probably get a flack for saying I like his second album more but personally both albums are great.  I think he definitely matured as a artist and decided to create very good  and well though narratives. It is funny because after putting out two great albums he went through a slump until he returned with Stillmatic. recently he put out the Life is Good album which is also another classic in my opinion.  I wish more often he put out album like his first two albums out, because he would be held in a higher regard. Nas does not give you an album every year or often.  It usually takes a few years for him to drop an album.  So, i usually get excited when I hear he is working on a new project. But hopefully his next project will be as good as his last. Even though he is a legend now, I think his second album really is what showed the world , that when he is focused his lyricism is second to none. His first album established him as a powerful force, the second I think cemented the fact that he was a great musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment