Popular Posts

Friday, May 31, 2013

What's The 411 ? Mary's Classic Debut

 I have recently been listening to R&B both old and new this week, I stumbled upon Mary J. Blige debut album. While I heard it a long time ago, I forgot how amazing the album is. It is soulful, emotional, and  very enjoyable. I always understood why she was regarded as a great singer but this CD has now become heavy in my rotation this week.  It is only 12 tracks , without any filler. My favorite track had to be " My Love", because the hook was very catchy and simple, but conveyed many emotions.   Mary's music focuses on her own problems or situations that anyone can face in a relationship, while some are upbeat . often her lyrics or sound are filled with sadness similar to Billie Holiday.  While I haven't heard any new material  from her recently ,  with a catalogue like hers.  What else is there for her to do. In my opinion she easily one of the best singers of all time. Other tracks that stood out were "Slow Down", "Real Love", and " I Don't Want To Do Anything". While the intro was a little annoying just for having many popular rappers of that era giving her a shout-out on the song, it doesn't take anything away from this masterpiece!  I think every singer or r&b singer can gain something out of listening to her . Til the next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment